Monday, November 5, 2012

Make Your Own Christmas Wreath

End Result

What you need:
  • Wire coat hanger or wire
  • Fabric scraps
  • Newspaper
  • Tape
  • Ribbon
  • Something you would like to hang in the middle
  • Wire cutters
  • Hot glue gun would be handy, but not essential

 Steps:
1) Remove the hook from your wire coat hanger and fashion it into a circle as best you can. I found this rather tricky as the wire coat hanger I had wasn't as flimsy as I remember them being in the past.

2) Take a sheet of newspaper (doubled) and roll it up into an inch wide tube, and wrap this around your wire to give it some fullness. Secure the ends with some tape. You will need to do this a few times, of course it depends upon how full you'd like your wreath to be. I used about four peices of newspaper in total.

3) *Optional* I decided to wrap my newspaper wreath in fabric. This was purely in case I ended up with a gap somewhere, and seeing as it is wrapped in fabric the newspaper wont be peaking through. It's also just so much prettier ;)







4) Rip your fabric scraps into rectangles. You can, of course, cut them but I personally like the ripped effect. The size of the rectangle depends on a few factors. The first being the fullness of your wreath and also how long you would like the fabric to stick out. My fabric peices where around 4cm wide and 20cm long. It may take you a few hit and misses
to get the correct length you are after.I used approx 120 rectangles all together.


5) Begin adding your fabric pieces to your wreath. You simply wrap the fabric from back to front and tie it in a knot. Now, have a think about where you would like your ribbon (hanger) to be, and whether you would like this to be on top of the fabric scraps or underneath. If it is underneath leave a gap for it and we will add the hanger next.


6) To add the ribbon hanger. Take a piece of ribbon and knot it at the end. You can either tie the hanger on or, if you have one, use a hot glue gun. At this point in time you may also like to add something to hang in the middle of the wreath. I found some table decorations of silver sparkle hearts mounted on stands at the reject shop for $2, so I removed the stand, hot glued on some ribbon and secured this to the same point as the ribbon hanger. Below is the view from the back of the wreath after adding the heart and hanger.



7) Now all there is to do is finish off adding the fabric scrap and hanging it up somewhere to be admired by as many people as possible!






2 comments:

  1. I think this is STUNNING.. my friend has already ordered one so I am going to give this a try.Will let you know or send a pic of my finished wreath.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete