Monday, August 26, 2013

Introducing Carolina's



What inspired you to start your business?
After leaving a desk job that I had been at for several years, and having two young boys, one just about to start school, I decided that I would like to try and start a small WAHM (Work at home Mum) business that would give me the flexibility to work my own hours, do something I enjoy and still be able to contribute the the household budget on have time for the kids. Carolina's was founded in May 2012 and started with basic sewing handmade designs. In August 2013, I purchased an embroidery machine and started to create and design new and original embroidered products to add to Carolina's.



What is your handmade business all about?
There are many business that do embroidered products. I wanted Carolina's to have some unique and original designs so I learnt to digitize my own embroidery designs to create something special and different to stand out from the crowd. For example. Carolina's 'Sew My Memories' product takes your child's treasured hand drawing and embroiders it onto a tea towel to use as a keepsake for years to come. I create many handmade products including, personalised Monogrammed Towel Sets, Birth Samplers, Family Tree Frame Mounts and Blankets, Embroidery Tea Towels, Free Standing Lace Bookmarks and Coasters, Personalised Baby Bibs and Blankets plus many other products. I am also happy to create an original design to suit your requirements.


What do you enjoy most about your business?
I love all things lace. My Mum being from Nottingham and having visited there myself back in 1998, I fell in love with the stunning and beautiful handmade Nottingham Lace, it is just divine. So creating Carolina's Free Standing Lace Bookmarks and Coasters is a passion. I also love creating original pieces of handmade artwork, so Carolina's 'Sew My Memories' is a close second.


What is your favourite product to make?
Anything NEW. I love to create and design custom handmade embroidery that suits the individual's needs and wants in colours to match their home decor. At present, Carolina's 'Our Family Tree' is my favourite and most popular design.



How did you learn your craft? 
My Mum use to be a seamstress when she worked as a young girl in Nottingham England before she came to Australia, so I learnt from her at an early age to do basic sewing and mending. I have always been creative and built my knowledge and skills as I grew up.



What handy hints do you have for people who are starting up a hand-made business?
Be patient. Just like anything, it takes time and experience to succeed. Network with other businesses, get ideas, listen to suggestions and be perseverant and enjoy.


What plans do you have for your business in the next year?
I will continue to increase my customer base, create new and original designs and look for new avenues to increase Carolina's exposure in the local community and beyond.



No comments:

Post a Comment