Thursday, May 26, 2011

For Minature People

Most people dream of a sea-change – life at a slower pace and enjoying the finer things in life. After working long and gruelling hours in the hospitality industry for over 10 years, my partner and I packed up our busy lives, our menagerie of pets and left Sydney behind for the sun-caressed beaches of Coffs Harbour.

Whilst it was a dramatic life change, I was not prepared for the vast amounts of spare time I had reclaimed. I had never considered myself a creative person – I don’t draw, I don’t play an instrument
t and I certainly did not sew. Despite this, I found myself coming up with ideas that I am certain I had considered previously, but I had just never followed them through during my old life which was time-poor but financially secure. We’ve all done it – wandered through market stalls, looked at lovely creations and pondered how we would do it differently… or how we would change it slightly to be more personalised for someone special, and yet never actually done anything about it.

So when I was trying to decide on the perfect gift for one of my favourite Miniature People, I had my heart set on buying this particular 2 year old M.P a cute beanbag. Whenever he visited our house he loved slouching in our beanbag so I thought it would be a fantastic surprise for him! Unfortunately, the range of beanbags available were cheaply made and ridiculously expensive, so I set forth for the nearest Spotlight with renewed vigour for home craft – I was going to make it myself! My first creation was an electric blue corduroy beanbag which I personalised with an appliquéd bear and his name. Needless to say, I was most definitely the most popular gift-giver at the birthday party!

After my inaugural sewing success, I became a little more ambitious with my sewing and creative skills. A good friend was expecting a new Miniature Person in her life, and the baby shower was approaching quickly. In my mind, I had decided that I wanted to buy a gorgeous plush toy that would be a favourite friend for many years to come. Unfortunately, again, I was disappointed with the products available – they were either predictable and boring, or cheaply made, or had small parts that may have been choking hazards. Determined to create another lovingly handmade gift, I wandered through my local Spotlight until inspiration hit me – as I didn’t know whether we were expecting a boy or girl M.P I would create a wise, protective owl to sleep with them each night. It was genius – not gender specific and a great shape for cuddling.

The most remarkable discovery I have made is that once you tap into your creative side, there is no stopping it. After I made the beanbag and owl, I sketch, doodle and dream of new, unique and quirky friends for the Miniature People in our lives. I always have several projects on the go at any one time, and love to make customised friends to order… So this is how For Miniature People was born. We have a range of characters and custom made beanbags available made lovingly by myself which are perfect for any occasion. Come on over to our facebook page
to have a look or place an order.


No comments:

Post a Comment